After the War of 2018, Calerin (or Duffedon as those north of 9 like to imagine it) had separated from the Region of Peel, and the cities of Brampton and Mississauga had merged to become the Kingdom of Bramauga …
At the dawn of the 2020’s, the peoples of Calerin were enslaved by the rulers of Bramauga, and by wealthy overlords who owned the rulers. Even their own delegates had been bought by the overlords and were about to turn the Town of Calerin over to the highest bidder.
Then, just as hope for democracy was fading, She appeared on the horizon, shafts of the morning sun illuminating her flowing hair like a Beyoncé video! She had gone to Caledon Mountain to hear the words of the Great Spirit That Loves Life to receive the prophecy that would guide a just society.
She stood tall before the Oracle and asked, “Stone tablets?” “No.” replied the Oracle in a Sarah McLachlan-like voice. “They didn’t work well the last time the men did this. Let’s go with Skid’s blog.” And so it came to be that the “Ten Commandments for an Intelligent Electorate” were handed down from Caledon Mountain (well, actually a hill, especially if you come from Kananaskis country in Alberta) and she spoke in her best Yul Brunner impression,
“Let it be texted, let it be done!”
1. Thou shall not elect a person who has violated the Municipal Code of Conduct and been found guilty.
2. Thou shall not elect a person who has been found guilty of racist slurs.
3. Thou shall not elect a person who has used social media to smear another candidate.
4. Thou shall not elect a person who has either ignorantly or maliciously misinformed and mislead their constituents.
5. Thou shall not elect a person who is in the pocket of private interests.
6. Thou shall not elect a person who pads his or her resumés.
7. Thou shall not elect a person who creates a crisis where there is none.
8. Thou shall not elect a person who has brought false witness to bear against a sitting candidate.
9. Thou shall not elect a coven, or a single member thereof.
10. Thou SHALL elect good, honest, respectful, intelligent, empathetic persons.
And the Oracle was quiet. She came down the mountain with the words of wisdom, but it was too late. The people who had been so eager to receive her words only hours ago were now drinking corporate coffee from a drive-through and watching American Real Housewives and the Trump Reality Presidency Show.
“Oh well,” she sighed. “We’ll save these for the survivors of the Apocalypse.”
The way I see it.